Saturday, May 4, 2013

Weight Loss Update

So, it's been awhile since I've done a weight loss update.

In a nutshell: I'm still trying to lose weight and I have.

It's been 3  1/2 months since I started my quest. Here are some hard facts. I know that's what I want to hear about first when I read weight loss stories. I want the deets!

As of this morning I've lost 14 pounds.
I'm down a size. (Almost. I think a few more pounds will clinch it.)
I've lost inches all around. Though I don't have those facts handy.

But more than the numbers, there's two things that mean more to me than what I see on the scale. And the fact that I just wrote that last sentence and meant it is a story in itself. The numbers were getting me down; but that's another story for another time.

#1 I now fit back into my BH clothes. That's Before Henry. My goal is to fit into my BL clothes. You got it, Before Lily. You're smart!

#2 I don't feel crappy anymore. I feel so much better. My stomach isn't in knots anymore. I don't feel bloated and just all around yucky.

Here's a few things I've learned about myself that I kinda knew but have become very clear in this little journey of mine.

#1  I love bread. Love. Bread.
#2  I eat when I'm stressed. Not so much the "I'm busy, in a hurry stressed" rather the "We had an argument or I feel like a bad mom so I'm just going to eat half a bag of tator tots stressed".
#3  If I  blow it early in the day with my eating, I tend to let it go all down hill the rest of the day. I'm working on that one.
#4  I snack tooooo much. I'm a grazer for sure.
#5  I'm way too hard on myself and do way too much negative self talk. If I heard someone talk to another person the way I talk to myself in the mirror at times, I'd be horrified. I'd probably walk up to that person and just poke 'em in the eye. Well, maybe not. But I would want to. I'm really working on this last one.

Now here's the list of new things I've learned about myself, things that surprised me.

#1  I like to exercise. Who knew?
#2  It was much easier losing weight 7 years ago before I had kids than it is now. It's just plain harder for me.
#3  My reasons for losing the weight this time around, as opposed to seven years ago, are so different. Except for that one little reason of wanting to look good in a pair of skinny jeans!!
#4  Without God and the proper perspective on weight loss, it just won't happen for me this time around. And I plan on this time around being the last.
#5  I can't eat whatever I want anymore!! Boo! Hiss! Ah....getting older.

So, to wrap this up. I'm a little over half way to my goal. When I get to my goal, I may want to keep going. I'm not sure. I want to keep my goal realistic, though. I don't want to set myself up for failure; but I want to push myself at the same time. We shall see.

Andy and I keep a chart tracking our weight loss on our bathroom wall. He's doing it with me which makes this whole journey possible. It would have been really hard to do it without him. Tomorrow is my "weigh-in" day which means this is the end of my week.

I like to give myself little things to work on each week. It helps to motivate me. I've been a little slack on the exercise department for many reasons. The heat and being out several nights this week have been partly to blame. Next week my goal is to get back to my normal exercise routine. Hopefully it will cool down a bit.

So here's to continuing on the journey and not blowing it tomorrow. It is Cinco de Mayo afterall. 






3 comments:

nikkinicolealison said...

Oh I can relate to this entry SO much. I was working my tail off, eating right last year and was down 30 lbs (of 100 needed to lose). Then I went slack on my diet ... and then it was discovered I had cancer and an autoimmune problem and I got to take steroids and be on full on rest mode.
I gained back all 30. Plus maybe 2 ... which I think is because of my lack of water. It's such a hard thing to do. I know you can do this because I can do it.
I am getting back in the saddle of a healthy lifestyle when we unpack in the new house. We have no food to take to the new house so we are gonna be selective.
I love bread too and have to give it up. I am so much like you! All those reasons, minus the kids, sound so familiar to me.
I've got your back on this as well!!!
Let's do this!!! Congrats on being halfway!!!

Jen Bauer said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Praying for you as you get better.

Stephanie said...

Yay for weight loss! I am so proud of you! We are all doing it and I am thankful we have each other to encourage in this journey - loved the post and loved what you wrote about perspective. This journey is teaching me a lot - a LOT about myself! Thanks for sharing the journey with me -

Sassy lipstick here we come :) Love ya friend - you are doing awesome!