Friday, November 18, 2011

Candy Doesn't Make Shots Better

Lily is somewhat of a drama queen. What girl isn’t, right? My sweet girl wears her heart on her sleeve and is very demonstrative in her affection. You know exactly how she feels by the various and often hilarious expressions on her face. So, it was no surprise that getting a shot was no different in its amount of drama than all the other events in Lily’s life.

This dramedy started a couple of weeks ago when we brought Henry in for his 4 month appointment. Lily was also getting a check-up. Her first question was, “Mom, am I getting a shot?”


I breathed a confident sigh of relief, “No, sweetie. Dr. Silver is just going to check how you are growing. Only Henry is getting shots.”


So, you can imagine my horror when Dr. Silver told me she was due for a couple of immunizations. You see, my daughter freaks out at the slightest stub of the toe. It’s quite over the top and we are working on her controlling her freak outs. But she’s three and a girl. It’s a process.


Since we had to come back next week for another shot Henry had to get (poor guy!) and we all had to get flu shots, I just figured we do it then. I had adamantly told her several times that there would be no shots today. I could and wouldn't go back on my word.


Fast forward to the following week. While parking the car in the lot I was feeling hopeful that she could get the flu mist thus avoiding a scene. The subject of shots came up again. “I don’t want to get a shot,” she declared from the back seat. “But when you get shots, you get candy!” was my quick comeback. “Candy doesn’t make shots better!” Andy and I glanced at one another. The jig was up! Candy…. My bribe of choice wouldn’t be an option. Beads of sweat started to form on my brow. I was praying the flu mist would be acceptable and we could avoid the dreaded needle. Silly, hopeful, foolish me.


Of course, because of Henry’s high susceptibility to catch various things (poor little man!) Lily had to get a shot. The flu mist was a no-go. “Lil, listen. Daddy and I are each going to get a flu shot and then you are, okay?”


“No can do!” Giggle, Giggle.


“Sweetie, you do have to get a shot today. But Daddy and I will go first and you’ll see that it doesn’t even hurt.”


“No can do!” Smile, Smile.


I’m no rookie, though. I then pulled out of the diaper bag my secret weapon…. Wait for it…. the candy necklace! That’s right. Her favorite candy that she hardly ever gets. I was hoping what she had said in the car earlier would all be forgotten when she saw it.


The smile quickly turned to panic. This girl wasn't budging. She shook her head and refused to come close to me. So I began to open the package and stretch out the necklace that wasn’t stretching out enough. This would never fit over her head!
That’s when the unthinkable happened. Now please, imagine this in slow motion because that’s how it seemed to me. With a soft snap of the string the tiny pieces of candy that were my only hope fell on the dirty hospital floor, save for the few pieces I desperately grasped in my hand.


Things did not go well after this. There was screaming and shrieking and me stuffing candy in her mouth. It wasn’t pretty; but I had expected as much. Henry than got his shot and cried (my sweet little trooper) for about 45 seconds. Lily was still whimpering 45 minutes later.


Well, we all know that a trip to the donut shop fixes just about any problem. So, for being so “brave” that’s where we went and it helped considerably. I know, I know, she wasn’t very brave. But see, I’m prepping her for next week when we have to go back to get those immunizations!!!

I’m thinking money next time. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Sarah Kuhner said...

She is such a funny girl. I can say that I don't envy you next week with more shots. My girls don't like shots but they really try to be brave. We have some toy shots that were in the doctor kit (I am a nurse so of course my kids have to play doctor). They really enjoy role playing with them giving us shots and us pretending we are crying. Then they tell us that it is not going to hurt that bad. Evil laughter always follows. I do think that the role play does help them feel like they are in control and understand what is going to happen. Not sure if that would help Lilly or just freak her out. Have fun!!

Wendy said...

I am totally cracking up (with you, not at you, of course) at the visual of you stuffing candy in Lily's mouth to try to turn off the wailing. As a mom who has been there, done that, you have my complete sympathy. :)