Thursday, January 3, 2013

Simplify- Saying No To The Dollar Bins

First off, the New Year is in full swing and I feel very lazy (as I write this in my flannel pj's at noon).  I just haven't had that get up an go gumption I usually have at the beginning of a new year. Perhaps it's because we are still on Christmas break and the normal routine hasn't started up yet. Despite the fact that our Christmas tree is still up, decorations adorn the house and the Christmas cards are still on the kitchen door (How long do people keep those up for anyway?), I've really been pondering my New Year's Resolution to Find My Happy Place.

I'm 3 days in to the new year and this resolution has already proven to be perhaps the hardest resolution I've made. Yet, I am determined!

Many thoughts have been swimming around in my brain; but two keep floating to the surface......Simplify and Saturate. Saturate will take some explanation at a later date. Simplify is kind of self explanatory. My life is filled, as is probably true for many of us, with too many things that I don't need.  Stuff. Junk. But I think simplifying, for me, goes so beyond the physical stuff. Without realizing it other areas of my life have been filled up with "junk", not leaving room for the things or people that should be filling it.

To name a few:

Worries and Unfounded Fear
Unhealthy relationships
Depending on things/other people for comfort instead of God

How can I truly enjoy the life God has given me with all of this "junk" getting in the way?!? Now this is not to say I never enjoy my life.  I have a loving family, I live in a beautiful place, I have sweet friends, an awesome church family, and I'm healthy. My life is filled with laughter and funny moments. I just know there are far too many moments wasted on "junk". I know it doesn't need to be this way.

Going back to the "physical stuff" that is junking up my life...........a harsh and convicting truth was slammed in my face last night as Andy and I did our yearly "revisit the budget" ritual. This year was really no shocker. We hadn't done a super job of following a budget or saying no to things. What made me sad was admitting that we could have been better stewards of our money.

There are two obstacles in our way to becoming better stewards: 

Obstacle #1  I can't just go back to work and make more money. I have an 18 month old and a husband with very odd working hours. I don't have a close family member/friend that is able to or I feel comfortable with that can watch Henry on a regular basis. The money I would pay for childcare on top of paying for my 5 year old's school just cancel out any money I would make.

Obstacle #2  And this made me cringe..........I have to stop spending money!!! I have to do without. I have to say no. I have to give up things. I know, Poor Jen! Boo hoo for me. Cry me a river!

So after a day of moping, yes, a whole day, and thinking of all the things I couldn't do or have, I gave myself a kick in the keester. I told myself to buck up and quit being a baby. It's worked.....for now. Crying and fretting about it doesn't solve a single thing.

Good news is, we aren't destitute. We talked about ways to cut back and we have a plan. If we stick to the plan, learn to do with what we have, make some sacrifices and ask God for wisdom, we can do it.

I don't at all think the road to simplifying our budget and spending habits will always be easy. In fact, many times I'm sure it will be very hard. It will probably make for some interesting blogging and I'm trusting that God will provide in miraculous ways.

The first step we made to budgeting bliss was really utilizing a tool we already have. Mint.com  The key is, we need to keep up with it on a regular basis and I can't let my fear of technology keep me from using it. Andy can't be the only one keeping an eye on the budget. It's time for me to roll up my sleeves and participate. We need to be a team.

Of course, today I saw a post on facebook by Dave Ramsey, budgeting guru, that gave me that little nudge I needed for today. He said, "Until you accept that STUFF does not equal CONTENTMENT, your finances will always feel stressed." His daily tip was, "The most important financial principle is contentment. It brings peace not apathy."

Does this mean I have to skip the dollar bins at Target when I go shopping?

I'm afraid so, at least for awhile. This is hard core, baby! I'm sure I can do without the tiny dog bone cookie cutters (I bought one not too long ago.) and colorful bins.

Time to take off the pj's and maybe get something done. Or maybe just read a book. Vacation's not over yet!

No comments: