Sunday, May 15, 2011

Joe Louis, My Champion


I know this may seem weird to start this up at the end of the school year; but it’s something I really want to try to do on a somewhat regular basis. I’d like to post short reviews on books I’m reading, mainly children’s books.

I conduct a workshop style approach to my teaching of reading in the classroom. So, I am constantly looking for and reading children’s picture and chapter books that will help me teach various skills and reading strategies.

Just because I’m not going to be in the classroom anymore, doesn’t mean I will quit reading children’s literature. I just love it! And I hope to pass that love on to my own kids. And since all of my four readers, either have kids in their family or work with kids, I thought this might be interesting to you.

The other day I read Joe Louis, My Champion by William Miller to my class. It’s about real life professional heavyweight boxer, Joseph Louis Barrow. Turning professional in the 1930’s was a major achievement, especially since Joe was African American. He held the heavyweight title for 12 years, longer than any other boxer.

This picture book is a great way to teach kids about racism and prejudice and the way life in our country used to be and still can be. You can communicate these ideas in a non-threatening way. It also holds up a hero to kids that used hard work and determination to achieve his goals.

The illustrations are beautiful and my kids were really glued throughout the story.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Glad you are doing this - :)