Friday, October 19, 2012

You don't mind if I ramble do you?

Can you believe October is already half over? I have to admit I've been a little disappointed by this weather. I wanted October to be cool and brisk and very fallish, not 95 degrees. Come on summer, give it up! You had your season. Let.... it..... go!

The only upside to this weather is I've been able to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts and show off the fabulous tan I got in Maui.

Ahhh....Maui. Another post (or five) for another time.

I've been MIA for way too long. I've had so many fantastic ideas to write about and blog. And yet everytime I think about sitting and writing, something else seems to get in the way. Why is this? Writer's block?

Well, this is what I tell my students in my Writing Club (and yet another blog post for another time), "When you can't think of anything to write, just write!" It doesn't matter what about. It may surprise you what comes from just rambling on the page."

Putting pen to paper, or finger to keyboard, is many times the hardest part. Sometimes you need to mentally shove yourself off the edge of the pool and just jump in. So here goes...........


We got back from Maui about a week and a half ago. We came back to 65 degrees, backed up toilets and a backed up daughter. (I will explain all of this in my Maui posts.) Reality gave us a bitter slap in the face. Reality said, "So you think you are going to go away and enjoy paradise for a week? Hope you enjoyed it because I'm going to dump a bunch of crap in your lap to deal with." (No pun intended.) But no matter how crazy life has been since we've been back, or how it seems like months ago instead of just weeks that we were strolling barefoot on the pillow-like sand of Maui, nothing can take away the special week I had with Andy.

My kids have been super cute this week. Even though Henry has been obsessed with the bakers rack in the kitchen, pulling off the dishes that are the number #1 "No Touch" in the house, he's been so darn cute! Nothing is more precious than coming into the living room and seeing them both cuddled up on the recliner, under a blanket, watching a cartoon together. 

My flowers are dying. The only flowers that seem untouched by this ridiculously hot weather and my week long absence has been my yellow rose bush. I can see it from my living room window every day and it makes me so happy just to look at it. Now, my mission is to save the rest of my flowers. I think the season for some of them is just coming to an end. So I'm looking for some pretty fall flowers to take their place.

The other reason I haven't been posting is that both our computers died, pretty much at the same time. Our laptop died without warning. I miss my laptop like I would miss a family member that just up and left for no apparent reason.  I miss my bookmarks and all my files. I hate having to remember passwords, that I don't remember, because my computer just remembered them for me.

Someone in our church kindly let us borrow a laptop while our friend is fixing ours. It's been weeks now and honestly, I want to throw this laptop out the window. While writing emails or messaging on facebook., it will randomly erase everything I've just written. While writing this post, the cursor has skipped at least 10 times to a random place on the screen. So that I am finishing my word in the middle of another word halfway up the screen. I can't use the mouse to scroll down or if I do it takes soooo long. I could go on and on about all the things this computer does wrong. I should be thankful that I have one at all; but every other day I ask Andy, "So how much does a laptop cost?"

"Be patient, ours is being fixed."

Can you loathe an object like you loathe a person? I think so.

And on a final rambling thought, this past week and half has been hard for many people. Three people I know passed away in a matter of days.  Honestly, I didn't know these people very well, but the loved ones they left behind are my close friends and family. It's been hard to understand how good can come from such loss. It made me feel a little scared actually. Like things were spinning a bit out of control. It reminded me how fleeting life is and how we have no control over death. I had to cling to the truth that God is control. He is sovereign and nothing takes Him by surprise. He is the Great Healer. He has a purpose in all things.

How do people deal with the tragedies of life without Him? I just don't know and am glad I never have to know.

If no one reads this post, at least it got me writing. Hopefully it won't be another 3 weeks until I post again.

1 comment:

Sarah Kuhner said...

Jen, I'm in the same place. I haven't posted for awhile and can't figure out really what I want to say. Good job just getting on and talking about something. Looking forward to your posts about Maiu. I'll have to live through you for a bit more in that department.