Saturday, June 18, 2011

Our New Summer Home - Roseville

I don’t even know how to begin this post. A big part of me does not even want to write at all. But I know writing about this time in my family’s life, in my life, may help me get through the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.

Mine and Andy’s new address is room #334, Kaiser Hospital, Roseville, California. This will be our home for the next couple of months. The thought of me not seeing my house, my dog, my friends or my town until August (most likely) makes me sad. The thought of not seeing my family and especially my daughter for days at a time makes my heart break into pieces.

But the thought of having a baby at 28 weeks is scary. And so I’m thankful that we are in a place where if Bauer Boy comes early, we are in a place equipped to care for a baby that small.

So here’s the 411. I have placenta previa which makes you bleed and can cause lots of problems when a baby is born. One of the problems being having very premature baby, which brings a hosts of potential probems. The other being hemorrhaging when the baby is born. There’s not much I can do besides be as still as possible. Even then, there’s no guarantee there won’t be bleeding. I’ve been called “a ticking time bomb”; but the most common term is “high risk”. After the 3rd bleed, they told me I had to stay in the hospital until the baby is born. Santa Rosa unfortunately is not equipped to care for babies earlier than 34 weeks. So, Roseville, was the closest place we could go.

This past week, I’ve said a verse over and over again. "What time I am afraid I will trust in you." I’ve been poked and prodded. My arms and hands look like pincushions. I’ve been on some heavy drugs that have made me feel sick and disoriented. I’ve also been moments away from being wheeled into the operating room. I’ve been scared and just plain miserable. But I’ve held on to that verse. I’ve never been alone. God has been with me and Andy has held me hand the whole time.

My posts may not always be happy; but I won’t always be happy. I hope I can always be thankful, though.

So here are some happy, funny highlights from my week:

v The first time I got to take a shower and wash my hair! The best feeling ever!!

v The first time they let me eat! It had been two days. Pregnant lady + 2 days of no food= torture

v All of my nurses have been very, very nice and actually kind of mothering. This is so great when you feel horrible and far from home.

v After 5 days, my awesome husband helped me SHAVE MY LEGS! Enough said.

For every day the baby can stay in the womb, they say it will be 3 less days in the NICU. So here's to another day in Roseville, another day of being pregnant!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh Jen! This made me so sad for you. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all these physical and emotional struggles. BUT I trust that God is faithful, and that he can and will give you the strength to endure.

I will miss working on quilts and stuff with you...now we'll have an excuse to do another craft day later on when you're out. :)

We are praying for you and Bauer Boy! Love and hugs to you!