Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Good Book: 30 Days of Thankfulness

Day 8: A Good Book.

Ok, as a kid, my nose was always in a book. Always.

That's the reason, I thought, I never knew how to get anywhere when I started driving. I was always reading when I was in the car and so I never paid attention to where we were going or how we got there. Later, I found out that I've inherited a horrible sense of direction. It runs in my family.

I loved to read as a kid and well into my 20's. I loved to get lost in the characters and imagine myself in a different time period.

Then came teaching and kids. I still did a lot of reading; but a much of it was teaching books, books on classroom organization (which I love), and the like. I also read a lot of children's book, which is still a passion of mine.

But books for me. Books for my pure personal enjoyment. Books that opened my eyes to different cultures and to lives so different from my own, have been off my reading list for years.

And then my friend Rachel and I decided to start a book club. Best. Idea. Ever.

I've been reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. I will try to do a book review when I'm finished. The book is a little heavy but I've enjoyed it. I forgot how reading, just for pleasure and not necessity, is so important to feed one's soul.

I am thankful for a good book and many more good books to come.

No comments: