Saturday, November 3, 2012

Patience: 30 Days of Thankfulness

Now before you pat me on the back and say, "Good job on exercising patience, Jen!", I'm not talking about me. Heavens No! I NEED more patience, in a big way, like yesterday!

I'm talking about the patience of others with me.

Long story short. I have my sister, brother-in-law, nephew, brother-in-law's mother and my parents coming over tomorrow for lunch. It's my bro's, nephew and dear husband's birthday celebration. They all have birthdays within 2 weeks of eachother.

I'm hosting, cooking (not all the cooking...Phew!), entertaining the crowd, etc. So needless to say, I had a lot on my mind and about an hour and half to grocery shop today.

It all started with a pocket dial to the Sheriff's Department.

What the....?

Well, as most of you know, hubby works for the S.D., hence why I would have that number on speed dial in my phone. How I called, who knows? He was at home with the kids. So after I basically called 911 for no reason, the S.D. called me back. I let them know "I was okay." Yikes..........embarrassing.

Next, I accidentally took someone else's cart and proceeded to the checkout.

And, of course, I rounded out the whole shopping experience by unloading over $125 worth of groceries onto the 15 item and under conveyor belt. Oops!

The check-out lady could have been all snarly and put out. Instead she was kind and assured me I wasn't the first person to make that mistake that day. I felt like such a doof but by the time she handed me my receipt, she was wishing me a happy dinner with my family. How sweet was that?

As I drove out of the parking lot, I couldn't help but think of all the times I've bared my teeth and have showed zero patience for lesser offenses. And usually toward people that really deserve an extra helping of patience (husband, kids !).

So today (or yesterday, as I'm posting this a day late), I'm so very thankful for patience and am asking the Lord to help me show more patience towards others.

No comments: