Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Dad: A Month of Thankfulness.....Day 8


A girl will always need her Dad. No matter how old one may get, you never outgrow that strong arm to hold you, the lap to sit on, or that voice that says that everything will be all right.

Case in point: The other night I came home with Lily and it was dark, really dark. I'm used to working late on certain nights because my mother - in - law has Lily and Andy is at school. I use that time to catch up in my classroom. Well, this darn time change has thrown my schedule out of whack. Now, coming home at 6p.m. is like coming home at 10 p.m.

I was mad at myself for not leaving any of the outside lights on. For being right off the highway, my little house on the hill is rather secluded. As I drove up my driveway, I noticed that an outside light was on and Lily's light in her room was on. I didn't leave the light on in her room before I left for work this morning.....or did I?

Of course, it took about 2.2 seconds for my mind to go there. You know where. A crazed burglar was in my house, no doubt, and waiting for me. My mind continued to race. If I went upstairs with Lily and there was an intruder, we were both done for; but I couldn't just leave her in the car to check things out armed only with cell phone. No, wait. I'm overreacting. Everything is probably fine. I left the light on by mistake. No worries.

But what if..........No, I couldn't risk it. I couldn't go in. I'll just go back to Chris and Lorri's. But, what about Jackson?!? He hadn't been out to go to the bathroom since 7 that morning!! I didn't want to come home to a puddle on my floor!! What was a girl to do?

Call her dad. What else?

He was over in 15 minutes, mom in tow. He had a thick wooden stick and charged ahead. I followed close behind my 6 foot 4 inch, silver haired hero. Mom stayed in the car with Lil. After checking all five of my rooms (Remember how small my house is from the last post? It didn't take long.), I could rest easy. No crazed burglar. Just a forgetful mom, trying to get out of the house and get to work on time.

Even at the age of thirty-......well, that's not really important. Even at my age, all grown up with a career and family of my own, I know I can count on my Dad in the most dire of moments.

So on this Veteran's Day, I want to say to my Dad, who also happens to be a Marine-Sempre Fi!!, .....thanks. Thanks for being my Dad and for always being there for me. I love you.

Now I have to make sure he knows I'm writing a blog so he can actually read this!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dads are the best!!!! Love your post!

Wendy said...

This is a really sweet post. Hooray for great dads! It really makes me appreciate our husbands, and how lucky our kids are to have great dads too. :)

Jen Bauer said...

Yes. So many kids don't. That makes me sad.